best tube amp for a wide variety of headphones?

Discuss headphones, speakers, subwoofers, etc!

Moderator: sword_yang

Louslice

best tube amp for a wide variety of headphones?

Post by Louslice »

I have a wide variety of headphones for different purposes and I would like a Little Dot tube amp but can't figure out which one would suit the widest range of devices. Here are the ones I would like to use:

Beyerdynamic DT880 250 ohm, my favourites used 50% of the time
AKG Q701 62 ohm, lowest noise floor and best for detail
Westone UM 30 IEM 56 ohm, best sound isolation and sub-bass but highest noise floor
Sennheiser HD598 32 ohm, most fun sounding
Oppo PM-3 32 ohm, sweetest sounding overall
Sennheiser HD380 Pro, 54 ohm, I just use those when the kids are around making noise

Is there one amplifier that would suit all of these? I have two line outs I can use if one amp won't suit them all.

rockage

Re: best tube amp for a wide variety of headphones?

Post by rockage »

The Little Dot MK II, MK III, and MK IV are the models we recommend as general purpose headphone amplifiers, especially considering their 4 gain settings. They do perform a bit better with high impedance headphones but they are versatile and powerful enough to handle just about any load.

Louslice

Post by Louslice »

What exactly is the difference between those three? I see the specs that you have listed and they look fairly similar, but the price points are different. In practice, what differences would I experience?
Is it easy to change the gain on all of them?

rockage

Post by rockage »

Yes, changing gain is identical on each model. The only difference is it's slightly a more involved process on the MK II due to the chassis design. All three models will have the same sound signature and it's just increased technical performance (power output, dynamic range, etc) with each model up.