MkIII and Beyerdynamic T1 600 Ohms

Discuss headphones, speakers, subwoofers, etc!

Moderator: sword_yang

pathworks

MkIII and Beyerdynamic T1 600 Ohms

Post by pathworks »

I have recently purchased the MK-III from Massdrop and I replaced stock tubes with Novosibirsk 6H6P-I and Voshkod 6ZH1P-EV. Left all gain and jumper switches alone. According to the documentation, the gain switches in their current on position provides a gain of 3 and is recommended for high impedance cans (T1s). Also, the 10 gain position is the best for low impedance cans.

I'm finding I have to turn the volume to 70 to almost 100 to get the headphones to a decent volume level. To me that is almost full power at the 3 gain setting. Should I change the gain settings or is that going to introduce distortion? I want the best sound possible so I can continue to crank it up if that is the recommendation. (Edit: forgot to mention I have a Peachtree DacITx and only play CD or better quality music.)

The logic for the gain settings is confusing to a non-engineer. You'd think that a high gain setting would be appropriate for a high impedance can (high to high) and a low gain would be best for a low impedance can (low to low). I've been trying to get my head around the impedance topic but am still not quite getting it. Thanks for any advice.

ag-hansen

Re: MkIII and Beyerdynamic T1 600 Ohms

Post by ag-hansen »

Yes the gain settings can be confusing, but it is because the MKIII is an OTL amp which delivers most power into high impedance head phones hence lower gain should be enough. But I still find that gain 3 is too low for 600 Ohm, and use gain 4 and volume at 40-50 %. I have tried gain 10 and it will give you a lot more volume, but try the different gain settings out to see what sounds best to you, you can't break anything just follow the manual.

DavidZheZhe

Post by DavidZheZhe »

ag-hansen wrote:Yes the gain settings can be confusing, but it is because the MKIII is an OTL amp which delivers most power into high impedance head phones hence lower gain should be enough. But I still find that gain 3 is too low for 600 Ohm, and use gain 4 and volume at 40-50 %. I have tried gain 10 and it will give you a lot more volume, but try the different gain settings out to see what sounds best to you, you can't break anything just follow the manual.
Spot on!

pathworks

Post by pathworks »

Thanks AG. I switched to 4 tonight and it still sounds great and I think there is more loudness (hard to say -- could be just a mental thing on my part).

I've noticed that hi-res tracks (>88200 Hz) require more volume than cd rips (44100 Hz) due to less compression on the hi-res tracks I think. Anyway, I think the paring of the MkIII and the T1s to be a great match -- I'm very happy with the combination.

rockage

Post by rockage »

Very nice and thank you for the feedback.