Question about the little dot mk ii's tubes

Talk about anything!

Moderator: sword_yang

CodeLyoko

Question about the little dot mk ii's tubes

Post by CodeLyoko »

Hey guys,

So I am a complete newbie and just got my LD MK II and was wondering if someone could answer my question.

It has 4 tubes in total - 2 big ones (power tubes i think) and 2 small ones (driver tubes i think).

My question is:

1. Can I remove tubes and turn it on safely? If so, should I remove both small tubes, both big tubes, or 1 small + 1 big? in what combination?
2. Can I swap the position of the tubes? The big tubes are located at the back sockets - can i plug them in the front sockets (where small tubes are currently located)?

Cheers! :D

rockage

Re: Question about the little dot mk ii's tubes

Post by rockage »

1. Yes, you can turn on the amp without tubes though I'm not sure why you would want to other than troubleshooting a defective tube.
2. No, the tube pin-outs are physically different.

CodeLyoko

Post by CodeLyoko »

I meant that if there are 4 tubes. And I remove 1 big tube. Will it work?

Restless

Post by Restless »

There are four tubes as you have a power and a driver tube per channel (2 for Left channel, 2 for Right Channel) If you remove one of the tubes you will find you will only get sound out of one side of your headphones. as previously said though I doubt its a good idea to power it on without the tubes in place and even worse to add or remove when its on should you be considering this. It wont be designed for this kind of use and almost certainly will break or cause damage that will shorten it's lifespan. Tubes are designed to specific formats or types and amps are designed to expect that type of Tube installed in the Driver or Power position, swapping them about sound like you'll be getting your electricity in all the wrong places.

CodeLyoko

Post by CodeLyoko »

Ah i see. I read some articles online that said you can remove two tubes at once (two drivers ?) so tthought i would ask. Thanks for clearing it up!