Mains voltage change on LDII+ from 220V to 110V

Talk about anything!

Moderator: sword_yang

DoomlordVekk

Mains voltage change on LDII+ from 220V to 110V

Post by DoomlordVekk »

David, back in 2006, I was based in New Zealand and purchased a Little DOt II+ from you, via eBay.
I have since moved to the US and, fortunately, before I powered up the LDII+, I did a search on
the net. This prevented damage being done to the amp due to wiring differences between the countries.

I uncovered the mains transformer and it appears that it looks to be (possibly) a 110V based beast.
I did read in passing that the Mains transformers in the LDIII amps have a centre tap primary side and
that in 110V countries, the primary should be wired in parallel and in 220V countries, you wire across
the primary, ignoring the centre tap.

David, is it a straight forward operation to convert a 220V LDII+ to 110V or are there components
within the amp that are specific to the voltage/frequency/current setup for the model ordered?

I hope you might be able to help out here please David.
Thank you.

DavidZheZhe

Re: Mains voltage change on LDII+ from 220V to 110V

Post by DavidZheZhe »

Yes, if you are experienced with electronics you can make the change within the transformer wiring itself. There are no changes required on the circuit. Otherwise, I would recommend sending it back to us to perform.

DoomlordVekk

Post by DoomlordVekk »

Thanks for the reply David. I am fairly hand with a soldering iron and am trained in component level repair.
If you are able to, some general instruction on what needs to be done would be most appreciated.

Many thanks

DoomlordVekk

Post by DoomlordVekk »

David, I hope Spring Festival is going well. Would you be able to provide any necessary instructions to complete the work please? It is all going to be on the primary side of the mains transformer, that much is clear. Is it a case of pairing the 110v across both halves of the primary as below?

+=========Phase1(red)
|
+=========Neutral(black)
|
+=========Phase1(red)

Currently there is a Red lead to Phase and a black lead to the power switch and then to neutral/return on the mains side. The other red/black connection is heatshrink protected and tucked out of the way.
Thank you once again.

DavidZheZhe

Post by DavidZheZhe »

Hopefully the wiring diagram makes sense: