Do you recommend Little Dot MK VIII SE Amp for me?

Talk all about Little Dot products!

Moderator: sword_yang

Shyamwanne

Do you recommend Little Dot MK VIII SE Amp for me?

Post by Shyamwanne »

Is this the very best tube amp for Senn HD800 headphones? My headphones are balanced. I like a truly transparent but also magical sound....ok....I know...who doesnt!?! If not which amp is recommended?

Can the 6H30PI be replaced with 5654 or 6AK5 tubes on the Little Dot MK VIII SE Balanced Headphone Amplifier?

Also, how can I buy one of these? I live in the USA and I don't see a distributor listed for here.

Thanks for your help, Theo

DavidZheZhe

Re: Do you recommend Little Dot MK VIII SE Amp for me?

Post by DavidZheZhe »

The Little Dot MK VIII SE is our flagship headphone amplifier, and is specifically designed for high impedance headphones like the Senn HD800s - especially if you are planning on going balanced sometime in the future. The 6H30PI are actually the power tubes, so they are not the same type as the EF95 (aka 5654 or 6AK5). You can however replace them with any 6H30 type tube. Regarding purchasing, you can do so directly from us by inquiring via our email (little.tube@gmail.com).

bigmun01

Post by bigmun01 »

Greetings, David:
I purchased a MK3 from you awhile back, and use it exclusively as a preamp in my main system. It is remarkably fine sounding, and I couldn't be happier.
I am looking to use it on my second system, and replace it on my main system with a MKVIII, assuming you think this is a good idea.
I would appreciate your thoughts when you have time in your very busy schedule.
Thanks, Steven

DavidZheZhe

Post by DavidZheZhe »

bigmun01 wrote:Greetings, David:
I purchased a MK3 from you awhile back, and use it exclusively as a preamp in my main system. It is remarkably fine sounding, and I couldn't be happier.
I am looking to use it on my second system, and replace it on my main system with a MKVIII, assuming you think this is a good idea.
I would appreciate your thoughts when you have time in your very busy schedule.
Thanks, Steven
Hello Steven,

The Little Dot MK VIII SE will definitely provide superior performance but it's pre-amp outputs are balanced so you'll need to make sure your current power amp has the correct connections. I think it really comes down to whether or not you personally feel it's "worth it" so to speak, as while it's definitely going to be an improvement, it's also admittedly quite a bit larger investment! :D

bigmun01

Post by bigmun01 »

Thanks for your prompt reply, David.
One of my reasons for wanting to go with the MKVIII is the ability to run balanced connections throughout, which my adjacent equipment supports. The extra cost, if the MKVIII is as good relative to the MKIII as I hope and believe it is, is quite reasonable, especially compared to 'high-end' tube preamps on the market.
I suppose that is what I was getting to with my question.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Steven

DavidZheZhe

Post by DavidZheZhe »

bigmun01 wrote:Thanks for your prompt reply, David.
One of my reasons for wanting to go with the MKVIII is the ability to run balanced connections throughout, which my adjacent equipment supports. The extra cost, if the MKVIII is as good relative to the MKIII as I hope and believe it is, is quite reasonable, especially compared to 'high-end' tube preamps on the market.
I suppose that is what I was getting to with my question.
Thanks again.
Regards,
Steven
Ah, if your power amp allows balanced connections, then you will be able to realize the full potential of the Little Dot MK VIII SE and it would indeed be a very substantial upgrade over the Little Dot MK III. If you only had single-ended compatibility then I would venture it could go either way from a performance/value standpoint, but with balanced connections, it's definitely going to be a big step up.

Bruch

Post by Bruch »

I purchased the Little Dot Mk viii SE about a month ago and have been waiting for it to bed in before publishing any impressions.

In a word I am blown away. I did ask for cap and cable factory upgrades so I can't say what it is like in its standard format (David says the difference is marginal) but this amp is amazing.

I feed it with a NAD M51 with balanced cables and listen via balanced cables through Sennheiser HD800's.

I am delighted with this purchase. It is everything that I had hoped that it would be.

Micro-details, instrument separation, 3-D imaging are important to me and these are portrayed in abundance. It just makes the whole listening experience so very satisfying.

DavidZheZhe

Post by DavidZheZhe »

Bruch wrote:I purchased the Little Dot Mk viii SE about a month ago and have been waiting for it to bed in before publishing any impressions.

In a word I am blown away. I did ask for cap and cable factory upgrades so I can't say what it is like in its standard format (David says the difference is marginal) but this amp is amazing.

I feed it with a NAD M51 with balanced cables and listen via balanced cables through Sennheiser HD800's.

I am delighted with this purchase. It is everything that I had hoped that it would be.

Micro-details, instrument separation, 3-D imaging are important to me and these are portrayed in abundance. It just makes the whole listening experience so very satisfying.
Very nice and thank you for sharing your impressions! We are quite proud of the sheer performance of the MK VIII SE. Comparable amps often cost 4-5x as much!