Common Noise and Operation Troubleshooting for Little Dots

Talk all about Little Dot products!

Moderator: sword_yang

tjmann2

Re: Common Noise and Operation Troubleshooting for Little Dots

Post by tjmann2 »

Hello,

I am having a problem with digital ground noise. My system consists of an iMac, connected to an M-audio fasttrack pro soundcard through USB which outputs the audio over RCA outs to the mk iii. The power supplies to both the iMac and the Little Dot are through a Furman M-8x2 power conditioner, using 3 pins for both. The cables connecting the M-audio sound card to the little dot mkiii are shielded Monster cables. However, I still am not able to elimiate digital noises from the iMac (Such as when I reload a webpage, or open up an application, etc). I take the output of the mk iii through a pair of headphones connected to the front panel jack.

Any pointers on how I could eliminate the noise? I tried disconnecting the ground pin to the mk iii by using a 2 pin socket cable, but this does not help.

Thanks,

citoyen

Post by citoyen »

Hi all, I've read the opening post but I'm still confused about what to do.

I have a Little Dot I+ 6JI X2 which has a constant buzz and crackle to it, making it impossible to listen to music seriously. This interference remains after unplugging the audio inputs and using just headphones (different ones tested). I have plugged it in at different sockets and the issue is the same.

How should I proceed?

Thanks.

C

rockage

Post by rockage »

If you purchased directly from us I would recommend contacting us directly via email (little.tube@gmail.com) to request diagnostics/repair under warranty service.

twistandshout

Post by twistandshout »

I recently purchased a Little Dot Mk III through Massdrop, and I'm having some issues. The unit worked fine out of the box, but when I set the DIP switches to maximum gain the fuse blew. I replaced it with the spare, and things seemed to work fine for several uses with low impedance (32 ohm) headphones. I later tried some 600 ohm headphones and the 2nd fuse promptly blew. Any thoughts about what could be going on? I can try switching out the power cord, but to do that I need to replace the fuse again. It appears that the unit takes a fast-blow 300 milli-amp fuse, is that correct? The closest I can find are fast-blow 315 milli-amps, I assume it should be OK to use those?

Thanks.

hiabex

Post by hiabex »

Hello, I'm a Little Dot noob. I received one (Little Dot 1+) as a gift from a friend the other day. I have no idea about it's previous history and my friend didn't have anything to add about his own experience with it, though I suspect I'm now the third owner.

All cables were present so I decided to rig it up and run signal from my laptop to it... and there was silence. The valves glow a gentle orange, the power light is on, the volume dial appears to have no effect on anything.
I tried different headphones just to make sure it wasn't an issue with them. I downloaded the operating manual and looked at the troubleshooting section to see if 'No sound' was covered.
Please advise as to what I should try next.

Thanks

Matthias

Bath, UK

rockage

Post by rockage »

hiabex wrote:Hello, I'm a Little Dot noob. I received one (Little Dot 1+) as a gift from a friend the other day. I have no idea about it's previous history and my friend didn't have anything to add about his own experience with it, though I suspect I'm now the third owner.

All cables were present so I decided to rig it up and run signal from my laptop to it... and there was silence. The valves glow a gentle orange, the power light is on, the volume dial appears to have no effect on anything.
I tried different headphones just to make sure it wasn't an issue with them. I downloaded the operating manual and looked at the troubleshooting section to see if 'No sound' was covered.
Please advise as to what I should try next.

Thanks

Matthias

Bath, UK
Hello Matthias,

Do you have another source you can try out?

rlavinjr

Post by rlavinjr »

Hello, Ive had the dot 1 dac and dotV amp for a while now and theya re great....but updated to windows 10 and the drivers werent available on my hp laptop to drive the usb output. Reverted back to windows 7 and still cant get it to work! No usb output! Help! Bob LAvin

rockage

Post by rockage »

rlavinjr wrote:Hello, Ive had the dot 1 dac and dotV amp for a while now and theya re great....but updated to windows 10 and the drivers werent available on my hp laptop to drive the usb output. Reverted back to windows 7 and still cant get it to work! No usb output! Help! Bob LAvin
The Little Dot DAC_I uses default USB audio device drivers. You may want to try your Little Dot DAC_I on a different computer's USB output to confirm where the issue resides.

musiclear

Post by musiclear »

My apologies if this has been covered before, but.....

I am using the LD III as a preamp from the analog output of my sound card into a Parasound amp into my speakers. I've also used the MKIII with an mp3 player into a Parasound amp with the same problem described next. When I turn the system on, there is a loud hum and the woofer pushes out all the way for about 2-3 seconds and then the loud hum stops, the speaker goes back to its normal position and beautiful music is played. Whats up with that?

redgreenblue12

Post by redgreenblue12 »

I am having some trouble with my newly purchased Little Dot MK II. The volume knob seems like it does nothing to affect the volume or sound output really. Turning it up or down essentially makes little to no noticeable change in the tone or loudness. Connected to a PC with A/V into the amp and 3.5mm into the PC sound card (creative blaster) it sounds ok enough, I am hearing sound, but I am only able to really change the loudness with the computer's volume. It actually sounds like it picks the volume up a teeny bit if I turn the Little Dot's volume knob to zero. at 100 it seems to make it easier to start crackling and popping if I turn the PC volume up to the beginning of louder volume. It crackles and pops at a high volumes even with the Little Dot's volume at half way, if the PC volume is turned loud. I have tried it on a sony high-res mp3 player and it doesn't pop or crackle, but it doesn't go very loud at all, and once again, the volume knob on the little dot does nothing turned all the way up or down. loudness is controlled with the player, it sounds pretty good going to about a medium volume level, but just quite odd that the volume knob on the Dot does nothing. Any thoughts?

kiwidad

Post by kiwidad »

"I am using the LD III as a preamp from the analog output of my sound card into a Parasound amp into my speakers. I've also used the MKIII with an mp3 player into a Parasound amp with the same problem described next. When I turn the system on, there is a loud hum and the woofer pushes out all the way for about 2-3 seconds and then the loud hum stops, the speaker goes back to its normal position and beautiful music is played. Whats up with that?"

There is a large capacitor in the output of the LD I believe. What you are observing is that cap reaching its operating point of approx half the supply voltage to ground (well thru your amp inputs).

The easiest fix is turn the Parasound on a few seconds after the LD. If you don't want to do that I would load the output down with a resistor of about 1K or so. This will cause the cap to charge through the resister much quicker and should reduce the affect your seeing.

Mrjfeb

Post by Mrjfeb »

I have a little dot1+ with 6cq6 tubes hooked up to my iPad Air with rca and mini plug to headphone on iPad when I listen to it when I touch little dot I hear it through my headphones like the touch is amplified what causes this also do you have a picture of how and where to put jumpers

sebhoff

Post by sebhoff »

Hi!
I'd appreciate some feedback on a noise issue that started appearing with my LD Mk9 a while ago. The issue is not constant, but it seems to become more noticeable when it has been on for a while. The noise is independent of the volume setting, and happens on both channels in exactly the same way - sometimes it is very faint, and sometimes it is very clearly noticeable when I'm listening to music (and not just during the silence in between different pieces). I'm using the LD with my MacBook Pro and an ARCAM irDAC.
Since I've probably not described things in a helpful way, here's a recording of the noise I'm talking about: http://corpora.lancs.ac.uk/trier/STE-026.mp3. It was created by placing a Zoom recorder near one of the headphone "speakers"...
I would greatly appreciate some help - many thanks in advance!
Sebastian