LD 1+ high volume levels

Talk all about Little Dot products!

Moderator: sword_yang

BrettW

LD 1+ high volume levels

Post by BrettW »

Hi,

I have a new LD 1+ with the v4.0 board and factory installed 408A tubes. I am feeding it with a FiiO X3 mk2 in DAC mode and listening to it with Grado GS1000e, 125e or MS-1e.

My question relates to the volume I am using on the LD+1. I listen to my music fairly loud and only need to set the LD 1+ to a volume of between 9 and 14. A friend who has two LD 1+ with boards v2 and v3, said that he runs a volume setting much higher, around 50 - 70. He also uses a FiiO X3 and various Grado headphones, including RS1 and 500.

Is it normal that that v4 board is this much louder? The gain switches are both set to 'on'.

Does anyone else use volume settings this low and have very loud output?

Thanks
Brett

rockage

Re: LD 1+ high volume levels

Post by rockage »

Yes, that is normal.

BornAgainIdiot

Post by BornAgainIdiot »

Rockage, when you say it's normal are you suggesting that's the case for only the Version 4 board of the LD1+?

I have both versions 2.1 and 3.0 and they are fed either with a Fiio X3 (1st gen) in DAC mode out of a MacBook Pro or a Rega Fono Mini A2d from a Dual turntable. tubes tested include the Chinese 6J1, Mullard M8100 and Western/Northern Electric 408.

Typical volume levels used range between 40-80 depending on the source. IE: a cd from the loudness war era probably only on 50-60 at an energetic listening volume whereas vinyl and/or an older CD mastering could be listened to at 70-80.

BrettW claims he is only barely turning the volume pot before volume is at a loud level. That seems odd.

Are you suggesting it's common across the board or just with regards to V4 as that certainly isn't my experience with previous versions?

rockage

Post by rockage »

Loudness differences are normal when there are so many uncontrolled variables.

kirkan

Post by kirkan »

The same happens to me, I have a board v4.0 and with a source with 2Vrms output the volume I have to put between 12-20, and that connecting a LCD2! , the dips are ON, theoretically low gain!
It is not normal, I can not use the volume pot in optimal positions.

Any mod that can be done to decrease the gain?